Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Perfect Timing

It has been quite a while since I posted anything. I have been super busy, but good things are happening. I just moved into my childhood home, inspired my best friend to start a blog, and began my second quarter of community college. As all of this was happening one of my friends said that I had become very mature. That really stuck with me this past week.

Now, I have posted before about my inside jokes with God and this was no exception. I was cleaning off the old fridge in my garage when some piece of paper fell off the door. It was yellowed with age and no bigger than a post-it note. As I picked it up I couldn't help, but wonder why someone would stick it behind a dinosaur magnet.

This is what it said: 
"DEAR FRIEND: Here it is. Thank you for asking. 
Maturity
Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence. 
Maturity is patience. It is the willingness to pass up immediate pleasure in favor of a long-term gain. 
Maturity is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or situation in spite of heavy opposition and discouraging setbacks. 
Maturity is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse.
Maturity is being big enough to say, 'I was wrong.' And, when right, the mature person need not experience the satisfaction of saying, 'I told you so.'
Maturity is the ability to make a decision and stand by it. The immature spend their lives exploring endless possibilities and then do nothing.
Maturity means dependability, keeping one's word and coming through in a crisis. The immature are masters of the alibi. They are the confused and the conflicted. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business and good intentions that somehow never materialize.
Maturity is the art of living in peace with what we cannot change, the courage to change what should be changed and the wisdom to know the difference." 

This was an answer to an "Ask Ann Landers" column. The article could've been up there for more than twenty years and I found it at the right time. It's funny how He works, but it always makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. That's so weird! Pretty cool though...I've always taken being called mature as one of the best compliments you can get. Seem like very few people are these days...so good for you!

    http://thegoodlifeoncampus.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger