Sunday, January 18, 2015

Virtuous Friendship

In less than six months my time as a missionary will be over. I will have spent two years at the best parish I have ever been to. It will be the culmination of a crazy cross country journey that I never anticipated. I came to the the pacific northwest with a heck of a lot of baggage and in this time each and every bag has been lovingly unpacked and sorted. I've been given some of the most amazing people to help me with that. These are the people I think of when I read:
"Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter; whoever finds one finds a treasure. Faithful friends are beyond price, no amount can balance their worth. Faithful friends are life-saving medicine; those who fear God will find them." - Sirach 6:14 -16
These are also the people who I am forever grateful for. The theme of our Fidelis Winter Excursion this weekend is "Virtuous Friendship: Learning from the Saints". We've spent so much time talking about the qualities of this type of friend and the saints who exemplify that. Well, I think I know some of them personally. I have met and connected with so many people over the last year and a half. It's been a whirlwind, but it's been amazing. And in their own way they've each healed me in our time together.

When you come across people like this it's like your life brightens with their presence and even in their absence the very thought of them brings a smile. These friends will be frank with you, pray for you, and give you a ton of crap. More importantly, they'll love you with that love of Christ. A love that seeks truth in all things, even when it's hard. A love that pursues heaven with mighty courage. So when you come across these friends hold onto them because God clearly placed them in your life for some reason and never stop praying for them.

St. Theresa of Avila is said to have prayed for every soul she ever had an "intense connection" with until they reached heaven. That's a virtuous friend! Spend time praying for those people who have touched your life. They have been your partners on your path to heaven. No matter how long you've been together or apart your souls still have a unique bond that can never be torn apart.
"Pray for me, as I will for thee, that we may merrily meet in heaven." - St. Thomas More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger