Sunday, August 5, 2012

Who Is Blessed?


Every time I write a witness talk it’s different. It could be the same story I’ve told for years, but how I prepare for each talk is wildly different. I sat down to write one on the meaning of being blessed and was amazed at God’s intervention. On Thursday night I was supposed to go to young adult group, but God’s plan isn’t always our plan. By the time I got the key and unlocked the room everyone had cancelled. Thinking I could be productive I sat down with a stack of loose leaf, a Bible, and “Ten Minute Daily Devotions for Teens”.

I almost never sit down with references to write a witness, but this time I guess I needed to. I had no idea how to define the word blessed so I looked it up. According to dictionary.com blessed means: consecrated, sacred, holy, sanctified, worthy of adoration and worship, divinely favored, or fortunate. This all sounded great, but it didn’t seem relatable. How was I supposed to write a talk on holiness? I am so far from it.

Frustrated I opened “Ten Minute Daily Devotions for Teens” to the day I am supposed to give this talk, August 14th. The title of the page read, “Who Is Blessed?” Not giving it a second thought I laughed and continued reading. This is what it said:

“While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, ‘Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.’ He replied, ‘Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it.’ “
Luke 11:27-28

All of the sudden I knew where to go with the talk. I understood what anecdotes to tell. But I couldn’t have done any of it without Him. I don’t believe in coincidence or luck because that only goes so far. When it’s the power of God intervening in your life you know it. And if you know that you know what it means to be blessed. To allow God to use you is keeping His word. By relinquishing yourself to Him you trust His plans.

Trusting in Him is difficult especially when you need to most. Like when you’re having a terrible day and just can’t seem to see the good in it. God seems like your last priority, but He should be your first. You can’t pray to Him when it’s great and forget Him as your world seems to crumble. When you invoke His spirit and allow Him to fill you up you are blessed. If you don’t believe me think back to a time when you allowed that to happen. Do you remember the peace you felt? That was God.

We’re told in Colossians 3:15, “And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were called in one body.” Through out the Bible we’re called to be in communion with Christ every moment of our lives. When we invite Him in and keep Him in our hearts we become blessed. Finally, when we are blessed we achieve peace. It is a lifelong struggle to maintain this peace, but it’s not impossible.

Here is a prayer from “Ten Minute Daily Devotions for Teens” to help you ask God for help:

“Dear Jesus, you have proclaimed that I can be blessed, be holy, if I hear your word and obey it. Help me to be attentive to your word and live it. Amen” 

Invite God Into Your Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger